Diocesan Director of Catholic Charities
DIRECTOR OF CATHOLIC CHARITIES – CATHOLIC DIOCESE OF PEORIA
The Diocese of Peoria is seeking a skilled and dynamic leader to develop the work and mission of Catholic Charities. Under the direction of the Bishop, this role is responsible for design, implementation, and oversight of all social service and social justice programs of Catholic Charities for the 26 counties in our diocese. The Diocese of Peoria continues implementation of its pastoral plan, Growing Disciples. This planning process is opening the door to unique and exciting opportunities to develop vision for ministry that best serves the mission of the Gospel for this time and place. The new Director will have a vital role in both creating and implementing a fresh vision for Catholic Charities as part of Growing Disciples and beyond.
ABOUT THE DIOCESE and ABOUT CATHOLIC CHARITIES:
We started in 1833; with Fr. John Mary Cyr visiting Peoria, noting “Peoria is already and will be more so, one of the most important points on the Illinois River for Catholicity, if nothing will be neglected on our part. It is therefore high time to take the matter into consideration; it is now time to plant.”
We have since grown to what we are today, a diocese of over 130,000 Catholics spread throughout 26 counties, 156 parishes and over 40 schools. We serve the mission of Jesus and the Church through the many offices and ministries that strive to provide a path to missionary discipleship in the model of Christ Himself.
Our bishop, the Most Reverend Louis Tylka, envisions the future of our Diocese one of further planting: seeds of faith in those who’ve left the Church; seeds of hope for the strong Catholics who remain; and seeds of charity for those in our midst who are most in need. This role will be an integral part of growing in the diocese.
Catholic Charities has been serving the Diocese of Peoria for over 80 years. We currently serve thousands of those in our midst each year through programs in counties across the diocese. Some of those programs include St. Nicholas Charity on Wheels, baby pantries, bereavement groups, Christmas programs, and many more. A list of those current programs can be found at www.ccdop.org. No matter the outreach, all are designed to live Christ’s mission of providing help and creating hope.
As an integral part to the success of the Church’s mission, the Director must be a practicing Catholic in good standing, have knowledge of the structure and basic teachings of the Roman Catholic Church, and act as a witness to Gospel values in both your professional and personal life. Strong candidates are mission-minded, understanding that all leadership responsibilities are performed in concert with the agency’s vision and Catholic social and moral teaching.
The Director’s qualifications and experience will also include:
- Transparent and high integrity leadership with 5 or more years of experience in leadership
- Previous experience with non-profit management and governance
- Adept at community relations and cultural responsiveness
- Previous experience with social services and human service agencies
- Bachelor’s degree (minimum) with Master’s degree preferred
- Experience in developing and adapting community-based programs responsive to local needs and ability to work effectively with a diverse group of individuals from many cultures and walks of life
- Strong computer skills to include Microsoft Office Suite and competency in Social Services software
- Solid, hands-on budget management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision-making and reporting
- Strong organizational abilities including planning, delegating and program development
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and collaborate with staff. Supervisory experience and demonstrated ability to motivate others in a positive manner
- Knowledge of fundraising strategies and donor relations unique to the nonprofit sector
- Strong written and oral communication and presentation skills
- Familiarity with and strong commitment to Catholic social teaching
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred
- Prior Experience with a Catholic Charities organization is preferred.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB
Mission & Vision
- Ensure that the mission and vision of the Gospel and the Diocese of Peoria is fulfilled through programs, strategic planning and community outreach
- Maintain a working knowledge of significant developments and trends in the field and community needs in the counties the agency serves
- Convey a vision of the agency’s strategic future to staff, board, volunteers and donors
- Responsible for long-range strategies and strategic plan implementation that ensures the agency successfully fulfills its mission into the future
- Work closely and collaboratively with regional coordinators to provide leadership, financial oversight and program development and implementation
- Maintain regular communication with Bishop of Peoria
- Develop implementation of policies and procedures
- Responsible for effective oversight of all agency operations, program management and quarterly tracking outcomes
- Establish and update agency policies and procedures for all operations and programs
- Regularly visit agency programs, maintain relationships with respective staff
- Provide leadership and direction to staff to ensure organizational and administrative compliance with federal, state and local regulations
- Complete continuing necessary non-profit certifications
- Oversee administrative and fiduciary functions while delegating duties and maintaining a formal means of accountability for all staff
- Oversee proposed annual budget and monthly financial statements that accurately reflect the agency’s financial condition
- Cultivate values of trust within the organization, maintain a climate which attracts and motivates a diverse staff of high performing individuals and build a strong management team
- Encourage staff development and education and assist staff in relating their specialized work to the overall agency mission
- Responsible for hiring and retention of qualified staff
- As the primary spokesperson for CCDOP, increase overall visibility throughout the community
- Work closely with community stakeholders, agencies, associations and general public to establish sound working relationships
- Participate in seminars, meetings, programs and/or on committees of any relevant issues
- In collaboration with the Diocesan Director of Development, plan and implement opportunities to promote the agency story and image
Marketing & Development
- Cultivate individual parish relationships via growth and expansion
- In collaboration with the Diocesan Director of Development maintain and grow development efforts and major gifts program
- Oversee the development of a communications plan that incorporates a range of both and online and offline tactics which drive interest, awareness and support
- Work closely with staff to identify, cultivate, maintain and solicit donors from both public and private sectors
- Oversee a grant resource development plan to include seeking, research, proposal writing and reporting requirements
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
Catholic Charities and the Diocese of Peoria offers a flexible and supportive work environment for all employees. In addition to competitive pay, we offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes: Health, dental and life insurance, Flexible spending program for dependent care and medical expenses, Employer paid pension, 403(b) tax deferred retirement plan, vacation, personal and sick time
Please send all application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org
We can’t wait to hear from you.