John Lancaster Spalding Scholarship Information
The John Lancaster Spalding Scholarship is an endowment fund established as a result of the Diocese of Peoria ROOTED IN FAITH Campaign and named in honor of Archbishop Spalding, the first Bishop of Peoria. If you would like to make a donation that would provide families the opportunity of a Catholic education for their children, click on the button to go to our online giving page.
Applications for scholarship grants will be available for the 2017-18 academic year beginning in December 2016. Assistance is open to students enrolling, or intending to enroll, in any Catholic school, grade Kindergarten through 12, located in the Diocese of Peoria whose families are parishioners in the diocese. All grants will be based on financial need objectively assessed. Information about the grants and application materials may be obtained below or by contacting any Catholic elementary or secondary school in the Diocese of Peoria.
Families of students currently receiving grants are reminded that all grants are for one year only, and anyone seeking to renew a grant for next year must reapply.
The application deadline is March 15, 2017. Notification of grant awards will be made by mid-April 2017.
Application information will be available after December 1, 2016.
John Lancaster Spalding Scholarship
Fund Assistance Application & Award
Protocols and Procedures
Deadline Date: March 15, 2017
- A family applying for Spalding Scholarship assistance must be an active member in good standing of a parish in the Catholic Diocese of Peoria.
- The student[s] for whom the aid is being sought must be enrolled in good standing [or seeking to be enrolled] in grades K through 12 in a Catholic school located in the Diocese of Peoria.
- All scholarship assistance will be based on a family’s financial need objectively assessed: The diocese will use FACTS Grant & Aid Assessment Services to determine financial need.
- All scholarship assistance will also be dependent upon the recommendation of the pastor that the family is an active member of the parish in good standing.
- If a student changes schools during a school year, tuition assistance grants will follow the student as long as the student is enrolled in and in good standing in a Catholic school in the Diocese of Peoria and the family is a member in good standing of a parish in the Diocese of Peoria.
- All awards are for one school year only. A family must apply for Spalding Scholarship assistance each school year.
- The number of grants and the amount of each grant for the school year will be dependent upon the funds available and the size and need of the applicant pool.
- Payment of Spalding Scholarship Grants will be made twice a year directly to the Catholic school a student attends. These grants will be applied to the family’s tuition obligation. Tuition assistance grants will be announced by the end of April of 2017.
- Families interested in applying for tuition assistance from the Spalding Scholarship Fund must complete a FACTS Grant & Aid Application. Filing online is the fastest and most direct method of submitting the FACTS Grant & Aid Application. A family may also obtain a printed copy of the FACTS Grant & Aid Application from the school that their child attends or will attend, and complete it according to directions. Supporting tax documents must also be remitted to FACTS by March 15, 2017.
- The completed FACTS application, the fee ($30), and any required supporting documents are to be filed with FACTS according to their directions.
- Families must also request the pastor submit a recommendation to the Office of Catholic Schools verifying good standing in the parish and the school respectively.
- The application process is complete only when the pastor’s recommendation has been submitted to the Office of Catholic Schools and when a completed parent financial aid application, including all required supporting documents and the fee, have been submitted to FACTS. It is important to submit applications and documents as soon as possible. Only completed applications which include supporting documents submitted on or before March 15, 2017 will be considered when Spalding assistance awards are determined.
- A checklist for a Spalding Scholarship Application as well as a downloadable version of these Protocols and Procedures may also be found in forms in the Spalding Scholarship folder under Catholic Schools.